Experiments are an educational, and fun way to introduce simple scientific concepts to your child. Here are some easy activities with easy-to-follow instructions to help you bring out the little Einsteins in your kids.
How old is That Tree?
When a tree is cut down, people can count the rings on the tree stump to know how old it is. However, this easy science activity will help you, and your child find a way to know the age of a tree without cutting it down! Hint: it’s in the trunk.
- Measuring tape
- Find a grown tree in the park or near your house.
- Help your child wrap the measuring tape around the widest part of the trunk.
- The measurement around the tree trunk (aka circumference) in inches is the approximate age of the tree in years.
Floating Egg Experiment
Salt water is denser than fresh or ordinary tap water. This is why it’s easier to float on the sea compared to a swimming pool. You can teach this concept to your child using eggs! When you lower the egg into the water, it drops through the tap water until it reaches the salty water. At this point, the water is dense enough for the egg to float.
- Egg in its shell (it can be boiled or raw)
- A tall drinking glass
- Have your child pour water into the glass until it is about half full.
- Stir in lots of salt (about 6 tablespoons).
- Carefully pour in plain water until the glass is nearly full (be careful to not disturb or mix the salty water with the plain water).
- Gently lower the egg into the water and watch what happens.
Banana peels have phenols that fend off insects. When the peel is exposed to air, an enzyme (polyphenol oxidase) is released. This causes the phenols to react with oxygen, producing the brown color as a side effect. Because of this phenomenon, you can make your child turn bananas into canvases
- Toothpick or pin
- Give your child a banana and help him trace its outline onto a sheet of paper
- Have your child draw his tattoo design on the paper, inside the outline of the banana.
- While holding the drawing over the banana, guide your child to pierce the banana with a toothpick or pin by following the tattoo design.
- Let the banana sit for a few minutes and watch what happens.